Saturday, March 26, 2016

#EasterWeekend


Easter is tomorrow and while most students went home for the holiday, I decided to stay back at college for the third year in a row – mostly because I didn't think about going home. It was such a fun holiday growing up with Easter egg hunts around my backyard, waking up to the Easter Bunny coming, and the whole family getting together for a feast. While my mom still plays the Easter Bunny role – partly because she refuses to believe we are growing up – it isn’t the same from when I was younger (AKA I miss the Easter egg hunts).

Now that I am older, there are definitely some changes in how we celebrate the holiday. When I am home, it is typically church in the morning followed by lounging around all-day and relaxing with the fam and grandparents, still followed by a gourmet feast. But while I’ve been away at college these last few years, I typically have spent it having a phone call with my parents and grandparents, a nice text with my siblings, and laying in bed all day. There is no gourmet feast, no Easter bunny basket, and no Easter candy (unless I buy it myself but I refuse to do that).

These past few days I have seen a tremendous amount of social media posts about Easter including Twitter’s #EasterBunnyReplacements and #EasterWeekend posts, trending Buzzfeed articles, and Facebook pages shared about Easter. Stores like CVS and Walgreens are posting continuously as well for some last-minute shopping promotions like jelly beans and chocolate Easter eggs. 


Social media has exploded this weekend in regards to this holiday and surely it will be very apparent tomorrow. Seeing all of the posts and trends has definitely put me more in the mood and who knows, maybe this year I will make a “gourmet” feast myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment